Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pea Trials

My first crop of peas is about finished and I have planted more in hopes of a fall harvest. I grew seven varieties of snow, snap and shelling peas this year, but will narrow it down to my favorites for next year. I am looking for tall varieties that do well in our climate and produce well over a long period of time. I prefer heirloom varieties for all of my seeds, but I am open to new open-pollinated varieties. Of my seven varieties, I found a definite new favorite - Mammoth Melting Sugar Snow Pea. This variety is a tall 1906 heirloom and produced a heavy harvest of large, sweet peas. My vines have been producing since the first week of July and are still going. Oregon Giant Snow and Sugarsnap both produced a good harvest, but not outstanding. Mayfair Shelling Pea was not particularly impressive, but I have heard really good things about the variety, so will give it another chance. Amish Snap and Green Arrow Shelling Pea did not do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment