Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Newest Member of the Family... Meet Sassafras!

We finally have a milk cow! Sassafras is a three year old Jersey/Brown Swiss. After I inquired about her, I realized that she belonged to the friends we buy milk from. They spent an hour and a half showing me the ropes and helping milk her last night. She is a sweetie and is already used to horses and other critters. Most modern milk cows need lots of grain to produce, but Sassie is used to eating grass as cows were meant to. The first milking by myself took five hours! It might take a while for my hands to get used to it!
 
It was such a blessing to get a really nice cow from someone we know at a good price. Yesterday I was excitedly rushing around getting things ready for her. When I came in the house, our dog, Kirby Bear, had his tail caught in the door, so I just left it open. I danced into the kitchen and mixed my words all up as I told Nick that "Kirby Bear's door is caught in the table." He asked if I was excited or something. :)
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment