Friday, September 14, 2012

Winter Squash, Garlic, Chickens and Turkeys

After covering them for several frosts, I harvested about 75 pounds of pumpkins and acorn squash yesterday. Not much compared to last years 450 pounds, but still enough for lots of pumpkin pies this fall!

I sorted through the garlic I dug earlier in the summer, pulling out the best five pounds to replant for next year. I ended up with about twelve pounds for eating, plenty to get us through the winter.

Another hen hatched ten adorable chicks, bringing our total to 63. I've already sold several pullets to pay for feed. I think I have a buyer for the rest. We should get 30 young roosters for meat.

Friends helped us butcher our older three Bourbon Red turkeys last weekend. It was a little gross, but doing it with friends made it kind of fun! We have six youngsters left to butcher in November.


No comments:

Post a Comment