Friday, September 14, 2012

Pear Leather

An older couple from church gave us several boxes of pears from their orchard, so I've been busy making them into pear leather. They did not get sprayed this year so are smaller and have more bugs, but I'm happy not to have the pesticides and think it is well worth a little more work with a knife. Following Mama's recipe, I remove the bad spots and cores and put them in the food processor, skins on, with 1 T lemon juice and 1 1/2 T honey for every six cups of pears. I spread the puree out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dry them in the warming oven set to low for about 48 hours. I take them out when they are still sticky, since they seem to harden more once they cool off. The leather makes a nice winter snack, if it stays around that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment